Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Apocalypose Now

Saigon... shit; I'm still only in Saigon... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle. When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle. I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer; every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around, the walls moved in a little tighter.


- Francis Ford Coppola

1 comment:

Dan said...

Michael Herr wrote this. It's a nice piece of writing. He wrote the narration for all of AN.

He also wrote a great memoir of his time covering the 'Viet Nam conflict' called DISPATCHS. I remember it was serialized in Rolling Stone back in the day & published in book form. Well worth reading.

He also wrote the screenplay of FULL METAL JACKET.

I'm not really that much of a picky person but credit where credit is due & all that.

Good blog. I like the interview blog also.

Best,
Dan