Sunday, April 09, 2006

You're A Shooting Star (for Hank WIlliams Sr.)

I was drinking on the grave of someone I never knew
When the feeling overcame me and I thought of you
No more lonesome in your life you reached out to me
And I wonder if heaven is as cold as where you lie

The flowers don’t grow in this corner of the field
The grass is too poor I think for the rain to hit
I wonder if this bottle will disturb your last grace
And I wonder if hell is as warm as the sun up in the sky

Tears brought me to this abandoned cemetery today
As I drove along I thought of what I would say
You were the only daughter of a man to drunk to stand
And I wonder if the prison I put you in bears my name

Chorus:

Tears fall as thick as tar
I wonder my darling just where you are
I miss you so much you’re never that far
Don’t you know that you’re a shooting star

- Chris Mansel

No comments: